A dorm room in the Colter Bay area caught fire near midnight Thursday, claiming one seasonal worker’s life and sending four more to the hospital.
Grand Teton National Park identified the victim as Anthony Graviano, 28. The park was unsure of his home state; Pennsylvania and Florida were given as possible states of residence. He was employed with the Grand Teton Lodge Company.
Although deadly, the structure fire didn’t spread outside of the single dormitory room where it ignited, Grand Teton National Park spokeswoman Jackie Skaggs said.
“It was definitely an all-out effort and some good, quick response that probably helped contain it to that one dorm room,” said Skaggs, who was roused in the middle of the night to report to the scene. “It was an amazing response from Grand Teton National Park firefighters, EMTs, rangers and also the Jackson Hole Fire EMS responders who came from town.”
Calls to emergency responders came in at 12:04 a.m. Friday, according to the park. Within 10 minutes Grand Teton park fire engine No. 2, stationed at Colter Bay, arrived at the dormitory. The crew was informed that at least one person and possibly more were still inside.
“They quickly located and carried out one individual, who was unresponsive, and helped evacuate others from the building,” the park’s account of the incident says. “Although CPR was initiated on the unresponsive person — and paramedics continued CPR for nearly one hour — efforts to revive him proved unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead at the scene.”
All of the approximately 70 occupants of the two-story dormitory were evacuated, and four people were treated for minor injuries and smoke inhalation, park officials reported. The injured were transported to St. John’s Medical Center.
The fire was deemed out by 2:00 a.m. Most rooms in the dormitory were not affected, but as a precaution residents were temporarily housed elsewhere for the rest of the night. Liz Biebl, spokeswoman for Vail Resorts, which operates the Grand Teton Lodge Company, said the building would also stay vacant.
At press time Friday no details were available from the investigation underway by the park, Jackson Hole Fire/EMS investigators and a state fire investigator.
In a statement, Vail Resorts expressed sympathies to the loved ones of the deceased employee.
“The entire Grand Teton Lodge Company family is shocked and deeply saddened by this incident,” Biebl wrote in an email. “Our thoughts, prayers and support are with the employee’s family and friends at this very difficult time.”
Friday’s structure fire was the latest in a series of emergencies involving seasonal concession workers in northwest Wyoming’s national parks this summer.
In Yellowstone National Park, search and rescue teams are still looking for a 21-year-old seasonal worker from China who went missing in the Yellowstone River on July 23. Also in Yellowstone, a month before, a bison flung a 19-year-old off-duty concession employee into the air, causing minor injuries.