Grand Teton National Park biologists John Stephenson and Carson Butler maneuver a road-killed and pregnant cow elk into an ice fishing sled near Elk Ranch Flats on April 15. The duo later dragged the animal toward the Snake River, where its carcass was left out of view from Highway 89.
Mike has reported on the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem's wildlife, wildlands and the agencies that manage them since 2012. A native Minnesotan, he arrived in the West to study environmental journalism at the University of Colorado.
As featured on
- Yellowstone's first bison goring in '21
- Park to scale back search for missing hiker after days of combing backcountry
- Togwotee grizzly family to be heavily hazed for two weeks
- Friends and family help search for missing hiker Cian McLaughlin
- Garnet Canyon probe finds no sign of Irishman
- Darwiche family hopes to see Legacy Lodge reborn as workforce housing
- Report: McLaughlin seen in ‘Delta Lake area’
- Businesses chart unconventional paths to manage summer housing, staffing pinch
- Prices for Mercill Ave. condos set to start 'below market rate' at $325,000
- Jackson Hole Mountain Resort to build ridge-top viewing platforms and other projects