Jackson Hole Fire EMS

Jackson Hole Fire/EMS responded to a house fire in Wilson on Thursday afternoon.

A resident on Coyote Loop was grilling when a wind gust likely caught her grease trap and carried it to her log cabin, catching some of the house on fire. The resident of the home acted fast.

“We normally don’t promote putting out your own fire,” Fire Marshal Kathy Clay said, “but the occupant of the house took a garden hose to the logs and had the fire out before we got there.”

Firefighters examined the home to make sure the fire didn’t spread behind the logs or upstairs.

“A half a dozen logs got charred,” Clay said.

The damage was minor and cosmetic, but the situation could have been much worse, Clay said, given the variables.

“We’re in that big grilling time of the year,” she said. “Clean out the grease traps, and keep them clean so they don’t flare up.”

Clay said grills should be kept away from combustibles and houses.

“These fires can happen without wind,” Clay said.

Keep an eye on your cooking and have a garden hose nearby while grilling, Clay said.

Contact Emily Mieure at 732-7066, courts@jhnewsandguide.com or @JHNGcourts.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Please turn off your CAPS LOCK.
No personal attacks. Discuss issues & opinions rather than denigrating someone with an opposing view.
Be truthful. Don’t knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be proactive. Use the "Report" link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with us. We’d love to hear eyewitness accounts or history behind an article.
Use your real name: Anonymous commenting is not allowed.