Persephone Bakery

A small kitchen fire at Persephone Bakery didn’t cause any major damage or affect business operations.

Jackson Hole Fire successfully quelled two structure fires Sunday — one at a house north of town and one at Persephone Bakery on Town Square. No injuries were reported.

Firefighters responded at 10:54 a.m. Sunday to a home on Roberta Drive after a wall-mounted microwave malfunctioned and fire spread to the attic.

“The occupants were home and could hear the fire crackling in the wall and ceiling,” Fire Chief Brady Hansen said. “The fire spread into the attic, but our crews were able to get in the door quickly and get parts of the ceiling removed.”

Hansen said it wasn’t clear why the microwave had malfunctioned or whether it was even in use at the time of the fire, but residents observed the fire burning behind and above the microwave.

In total, three engines, a ladder truck and four water tenders responded to the scene. The first engine that arrived was instrumental in getting the fire under control quickly, within several minutes, Hansen said.

The remaining crews explored any possible extension of the fire and ensured no embers remained.

“I’m very pleased with the ability of the fire crew,” Hansen said. “The home is still able to be occupied and the residents are continuing to live there. The kitchen will just have to be repaired.”

The same day, a second kitchen fire ignited around 2 p.m. at Persephone Bakery, 145 E. Broadway Ave. Persephone employee Aykut Celikkaya described it as a small grease fire that staff had mostly extinguished before firefighters arrived.

Celikkaya said the bakery closed for a few hours Sunday but bounced back to operating as usual by Monday.

Ali Cohane, the owner of Persephone, described the incident as “very minor.”

“The health inspectors and fire department came and luckily we opened up the next day,” she said.

Hansen gave “real props” to the Persephone staff for their speedy response in getting the cooking fire knocked down quickly.

“The staff were able to attack it with a fire extinguisher,” Hansen said. “The fire staff then responded to complete the extinguishment.”

Hansen confirmed the bakery sustained minimal damage.

But he classified both blazes as “two really important saves.”

Contact Kate Ready at 732-7076 or kready@jhnewsandguide.com.

Kate Ready covers criminal justice and emergency news. Originally from Denver, Kate studied English Literature at UC Berkeley and is excited to bring her love for the mountains and storytelling to Jackson.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please note: Online comments may also run in our print publications.
Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Please turn off your CAPS LOCK.
No personal attacks. Discuss issues & opinions rather than denigrating someone with an opposing view.
No political attacks. Refrain from using negative slang when identifying political parties.
Be truthful. Don’t knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be proactive. Use the “Report” link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with us. We’d love to hear eyewitness accounts or history behind an article.
Use your real name: Anonymous commenting is not allowed.
.
The News&Guide welcomes comments from our paid subscribers. Tell us what you think. Thanks for engaging in the conversation!

Thank you for reading!

Please log in, or sign up for a new account and purchase a subscription to read or post comments.