Update 12:03 p.m. Tuesday: Preliminary findings in the investigation suggest Monday night's fire began on the upper deck of the Rusty Parrot Lodge when a gas fireplace set ablaze the covering of an exterior bench, according to a news release.

Jackson Hole Fire/EMS Fire Marshal Kathy Clay expects to finish the investigation by Friday. 

Original story: Thirty firefighters tackled a large fire overnight at the Rusty Parrot Lodge.

The call came in at 11:30 Monday night and firefighters are still on scene Tuesday morning trying to extinguish the last few hot spots, Jackson Hole Fire/EMS Battalion Chief Mike Moyer said.

"There is significant damage to the south side of the building," he said. "The entire building needed to be evacuated."

Part of the building collapsed in the fire.

One firefighter was injured, treated and released from St. John's Medical Center, Moyer said. He said she suffered minor injuries but is OK.

No one else was injured.

Teton Village Fire Department assisted Jackson Hole Fire/EMS overnight.

"We asked them for assistance because we needed a second aerial truck," Moyer said.

Jackson Police Department, Teton County Sheriff's Office and other agencies were on scene helping too, Moyer said.

Fire Marshal Kathy Clay said the building and its boutique hotel business are revered.

“It’s an icon," Clay said. "I don’t think it’s historic, but sh-t, it’s been here a long time. And it’s such a loss.”

The Rusty Parrot's owner, Brandon Harrison, said that the 32-room lodge was built under his father's ownership in 1990, and has stayed with the family ever since.

"It's rough," Harrison said outside the remnants of the building. "This was our pride and passion. For almost 30 years, we've been investing our hearts and souls into this."

Contact Emily Mieure at 732-7066 or courts@jhnewsandguide.com.

(2) comments

Carol Davis

We have such wonderful memories of the several times we stayed at the Rusty Parrot. The Pan fried trout for breakfast, the Wildlife excursions we signed up for and the wonderful people who made our stays so special. Planned to return in Sept. 2020 but it will be postponed until you reopen. We send our prayers to the owners and the employees who were so sadly affected by this.

Roger Hayden

So sorry to learn of this today. This was an amazing and unique place operated by owners who took great pride in the lodge and went above and beyond for their guests. I hope they rebuild this icon of the community.

Welcome to the discussion.

Please note: Online comments may also run in our print publications.
Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Please turn off your CAPS LOCK.
No personal attacks. Discuss issues & opinions rather than denigrating someone with an opposing view.
No political attacks. Refrain from using negative slang when identifying political parties.
Be truthful. Don’t knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be proactive. Use the “Report” link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with us. We’d love to hear eyewitness accounts or history behind an article.
Use your real name: Anonymous commenting is not allowed.