Alvaro Mancia

Alvaro Mancia’s charges include using bear spray on two officers.

Alvaro Mancia, the 24-year-old man arrested after a Tuesday standoff with police who said he bear sprayed two officers, had a knife and barricaded himself in an East Jackson residence for a few hours, has been charged with three felonies and a misdemeanor.

His bail has been set at $50,000 — what Clay Kainer, chief deputy prosecutor for the criminal division of the Teton County and Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, recommended.

“The state has concerns for community safety,” Kainer said during Mancia’s Thursday in-custody hearing. “This is a violent matter. There are three separate victims involved in this case.”

Mancia did not contest the $50,000 bail but said he doesn’t have “that type of cash.”

How Mancia will be represented in court should be determined Monday.

That’s the day to which Judge James Radda of the Ninth Circuit Court decided to continue Mancia’s in-custody hearing, after Mancia and the judge went back and forth about his representation.

The stand-off lasted nearly three hours Tuesday.

Two of the felony counts with which Mancia was charged Thursday were for interfering with a police officer, specifically “intentionally and knowingly” causing or attempting to cause “bodily injury to a peace officer engaged in the lawful performance of his official duties.”

Those counts carry a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

One of the felony counts was for aggravated assault and battery, specifically threatening to “use a drawn deadly weapon on another unless reasonably necessary in defense ... or to prevent serious bodily injury to another.”

That charge carries the same sentence as the first two.

The misdemeanor count was for unlawful contact, which is when someone “touches another person in a rude, insolent or angry manner without intentionally using sufficient physical force to cause bodily injury.”

That charge carries a sentence of six months in jail, and a fine of up to $750.

When Radda asked Mancia whether he would be representing himself, applying for a public defender, or hiring an attorney, Mancia said he didn’t want a public defender and was going to hire an attorney. But he said that he needed to be released so he could get a job to pay their fees.

Radda reminded Mancia that a $50,000 bail had been set in his case and that he or somebody on his behalf would have to pay that bail in order for him to be released.

Mancia and the judge did not resolve the issue, and it will be taken up again Monday.

Contact Billy Arnold at 732-7063 or

Teton County Reporter

Billy Arnold has covered government and policy since January 2020, sitting through hours of Teton County meetings so readers don't have to. He moonlights as a ski reporter, helps with pandemic coverage and sneaks away to climb when he can.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please note: Online comments may also run in our print publications.
Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Please turn off your CAPS LOCK.
No personal attacks. Discuss issues & opinions rather than denigrating someone with an opposing view.
No political attacks. Refrain from using negative slang when identifying political parties.
Be truthful. Don’t knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be proactive. Use the “Report” link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with us. We’d love to hear eyewitness accounts or history behind an article.
Use your real name: Anonymous commenting is not allowed.
The News&Guide welcomes comments from our paid subscribers. Tell us what you think. Thanks for engaging in the conversation!

Thank you for reading!

Please log in, or sign up for a new account and purchase a subscription to read or post comments.