Alvaro Mancia

Alvaro Mancia’s charges include using bear spray on two officers.

The case against Alvaro Mancia — the man arrested after a Sept. 14 standoff that began when Mancia bear sprayed two officers responding to a domestic call — has been bumped up to Teton County District Court.

Mancia is charged with three felonies: Two of the felony counts are for interfering with a police officer, and the third is for aggravated assault and battery. Each charge carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000. Mancia is also charged with unlawful contact, a misdemeanor.

His bail is set at $50,000, which Teton County Chief Deputy Prosecutor Clay Kainer recommended.

“The state has concerns for community safety,” Kainer said during Mancia’s Sept. 16 in-custody hearing. “This is a violent matter. There are three separate victims involved in this case.”

Police initially showed up at Mancia’s home on the 500 block of East Hall to respond to a domestic disturbance. The 24-year-old Jackson resident then bear sprayed two officers and barricaded himself in the residence, Jackson police Lt. Russ Ruschill said.

The two officers who were sprayed quickly recovered and returned to the scene, Lt. Ruschill said, where a large show of force gathered.

There was one ambulance, one fire truck, two Teton County Sheriff’s Office deputies, 10 police officers and three Wyoming Highway Patrol on the scene.

Throughout the standoff law enforcement officers had guns pointed toward the house. Mostly, though, the officers stood by.

In situations in which a person engaged in a standoff with police is barricaded in his or her home and nobody else is in the home, Lt. Ruschill said, the initial strategy is to surround the home but not to enter it. Then, Lt. Ruschill said, officers try to speak with the suspect. Afterwards police may decide to continue containing the suspect or, as in this case, enter the residence.

At around 7:05 p.m. police entered the home after receiving a court-issued search warrant and apprehended Mancia without incident. Teton County Fire/EMS personnel checked him out, and he was transported to the Teton County jail, where he remains for now.

During the three-hour standoff, much of the surrounding area was impassable due to the presence of more than a dozen law officers. The area opened around 7:30 p.m.

“I really appreciate the community for their patience and understanding,” Chief Weber said after the standoff.

Contact Alexander Shur at 732-7066 or

Alexander has reported on courts and crime since June 2021. A fan of all things outdoors, he came to Teton County after studying journalism at Northwestern University.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please note: Online comments may also run in our print publications.
Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Please turn off your CAPS LOCK.
No personal attacks. Discuss issues & opinions rather than denigrating someone with an opposing view.
No political attacks. Refrain from using negative slang when identifying political parties.
Be truthful. Don’t knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be proactive. Use the “Report” link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with us. We’d love to hear eyewitness accounts or history behind an article.
Use your real name: Anonymous commenting is not allowed.
The News&Guide welcomes comments from our paid subscribers. Tell us what you think. Thanks for engaging in the conversation!

Thank you for reading!

Please log in, or sign up for a new account and purchase a subscription to read or post comments.