Lake of the Crags, Grand Teton National Park

A hiker approaches Lake of the Crags in Grand Teton National Park. 

Park rangers rescued a Driggs, Idaho, man Friday after he unexpectedly spent Thursday night stuck in a gully near the Rock of Ages. 

Mike Merigliano, 62, had taken a hike near the Lake of the Crags in Hanging Canyon to take photographs in Grand Teton National Park. When he didn’t return home, his wife reported him overdue at 11:30 p.m. Thursday, according to a park news release.

Rangers found his vehicle at the String Lake trailhead and prepared to survey the area at first light Friday. At about 3 a.m. four rangers began hiking and climbing to arrive at the Lake of the Crags by daylight.

They made voice contact with Merigliano at about 6:30 a.m. and climbed down to his location, about 300 feet down a gully that descends into Cascade Canyon on the south side of Rock of Ages.

Rangers helped Merigliano back up the gully and then lowered him more than 800 feet to an area north of the Lake of the Crags area. A rescue helicopter flew Merigliano from the west end of the lake to Lupine Meadows. An ambulance then took him to St. John’s Health, park officials reported.

Rangers responded to another call for help in the high peaks on the Fourth of July. Two climbers were returning from a successful summit of the South Teton when thunderstorms moved in, according to the park news release.

Climber Andre Perez, of Berkeley, California, slipped on snow and then fell more than 200 feet in the Cave Couloir in the South Fork of Garnet Canyon. The 32-year-old sustained substantial injuries, park officials said. His climbing partner hiked to a backcountry camping zone and another camper made an emergency call for help.

Two rangers used ice axes and crampons to get to the injured climber stuck on steep, snowy terrain. They arrived at about 1 a.m. Sunday.

The rangers stabilized his injuries and stayed with him through the night until a rescue helicopter arrived at 7 a.m. and flew him to Lupine Meadows. An ambulance then took him to St. John’s Health.

Contact Managing Editor Rebecca Huntington at 732-7078 or

Managing Editor Rebecca Huntington has worked for newspapers across the West. She hosts a rescue podcast, The Fine Line. Her family minivan doubles as her not-so-high-tech recording studio.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please note: Online comments may also run in our print publications.
Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Please turn off your CAPS LOCK.
No personal attacks. Discuss issues & opinions rather than denigrating someone with an opposing view.
No political attacks. Refrain from using negative slang when identifying political parties.
Be truthful. Don’t knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be proactive. Use the “Report” link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with us. We’d love to hear eyewitness accounts or history behind an article.
Use your real name: Anonymous commenting is not allowed.