Fundraiser for hurt skier

Rose Nicklas’ daughters have started a GoFundMe, shown, as their mother recovers from a Jan. 3 skiing collision at Grand Targhee Resort that left her in critical condition.

Danielle and Nicole Nicklas on Wednesday launched a fundraiser for their mother, Rose Yee Nicklas, who is still recovering in the hospital ICU from a Jan. 3 skiing collision at Grand Targhee Resort.

According to the family, Rose Nicklas was carefully skiing with her husband when a “reckless” skier collided with her at high speed.

“Mom never saw the skier coming as he hit her from behind,” the GoFundMe — titled “Help #ResilientRose Recover from Ski Injuries” — states. “The force of the impact launched her into the air and pushed her 20 to 25 feet downhill before collapsing in a heap.”

The 64-year-old Driggs woman was life-flighted to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center with life-threatening injuries, said the family and Teton County Sheriff Matt Carr, who led an investigation into the incident. Interviews are now complete and the sheriff’s report is submitted, Carr said Wednesday.

“There’s not going to be any recommendation for any criminal charges,” Carr said. “The people that were involved told their side of the story, and it just seems like a horrific accident.”

EIRMC confirmed that Rose Nicklas was in critical condition immediately following the accident and was still in serious condition early this past week. Her children said Nicklas suffered a collapsed lung, a pulmonary contusion and a lacerated liver, along with a broken scapula, multiple broken ribs, a shattered tibia and fibula, a broken wrist and a possible concussion.

“It took four surgeries over the course of four days to stop her internal bleeding,” they said. “The ER surgeon stated that he had never seen such traumatic injuries of this nature coming from a ski resort.” As of Jan. 12, Nicklas had undergone six surgeries.

The family claimed the skier who allegedly hit their mother was uninjured and refused to help. Targhee Ski Patrol gave first aid, they said, and swiftly moved Nicklas to the resort’s helicopter landing zone.

“We are incredibly grateful that Mom is still here with us and now realize that her road to recovery will be long, hard, and expensive,” her children wrote. “Luckily, our mom is tough as nails and will be able to handle the physical burden, but we are especially devastated that this tragedy occurred just as Mom and Dad started the retirement that they had worked so hard for and carefully planned.”

As of Friday evening, more than 100 people had pitched in over $40,000 toward a $100,000 goal for Nicklas’ medical bills. The family is asking folks to spread the word with #ResilientRose.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please note: Online comments may also run in our print publications.
Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Please turn off your CAPS LOCK.
No personal attacks. Discuss issues & opinions rather than denigrating someone with an opposing view.
No political attacks. Refrain from using negative slang when identifying political parties.
Be truthful. Don’t knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be proactive. Use the “Report” link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with us. We’d love to hear eyewitness accounts or history behind an article.
Use your real name: Anonymous commenting is not allowed.
The News&Guide welcomes comments from our paid subscribers. Tell us what you think. Thanks for engaging in the conversation!

Thank you for reading!

Please log in, or sign up for a new account and purchase a subscription to read or post comments.