Forget Me Not fire

Diane Myers, an employee at Forget-Me-Not Thrift Store, watches as Jackson Hole Fire/EMS crews respond to reports of a structure fire Thursday at the Pearl Avenue store.

The fire at the Forget-Me-Not Thrift Shop last week was likely sparked by candles, investigators say.

Jackson Hole Fire/EMS announced the findings Tuesday, five days after the blaze caused smoke damage throughout the building on Thursday. After inspecting the area and interviewing witnesses, Battalion Chief Brian Coe determined it was an accident.

In a press release about the investigation, Fire Marshal Kathy Clay urged people not to leave lit candles unattended, and recommended battery-operated candles in homes and businesses.

Employees extinguished the flames with buckets of water before fire crews arrived, containing the fire damage to the bathroom in which it began. But smoke still pervaded the building, despite firefighters’ efforts to ventilate it with fans.

Thrift shop owners reopened quickly on Friday and held a fire sale to get rid of the damaged goods. But Millie Parks, who co-founded Forget-Me-Not in 2004, said shoppers have been scarce since the fire, perhaps because they assume the store remains closed.

Coe’s conclusion ties the bow on investigations of two fires from last week, both of which occurred within 24 hours of each other. Clay is confident the proximity of the two is a coincidence and said she sees no evidence of arson.

“There is no connection amongst them,” she said, “which is always good.”

The other, which damaged a kitchen at Dornan’s in Moose on Wednesday evening, came from a barbecue smoker being used for a private Nat Geo Wild event that was part of the Jackson Wild Summit.

When kitchen staff opened the smoker, Clay said, flames spread into the hood and grew, fueled by grease. A maintenance worker mostly suppressed the fire with an extinguisher before crews from Jackson Hole Fire/EMS and Grand Teton National Park arrived just after 6 p.m.

“I think this is a good fire extinguisher lesson about how important of a role they can play for people fighting an initial fire,” Clay said. “They can be very effective in either controlling or stopping a fire.”

Contact Cody Cottier at 732-5911 or town@jhnewsandguide.com.

Cody Cottier covers town and state government. He grew up with a view of the Olympic Mountains, and after graduating Washington State University he traded it for a view of the Tetons. Odds are the mountains are where you’ll find him when not on deadline.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please note: Online comments may also run in our print publications.
Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Please turn off your CAPS LOCK.
No personal attacks. Discuss issues & opinions rather than denigrating someone with an opposing view.
No political attacks. Refrain from using negative slang when identifying political parties.
Be truthful. Don’t knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be proactive. Use the “Report” link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with us. We’d love to hear eyewitness accounts or history behind an article.
Use your real name: Anonymous commenting is not allowed.