• 1

I overdid it a little on a hiking and biking adventure in Bryce Canyon yesterday. Today all of the muscles in both of my butt cheeks seize every time I stand up.

  • 0

On a recent Tuesday evening I sat on a rower at Revolution Indoor Cycling. I rowed away, my forehead beginning to moisten with sweat and my heart rate climbing. A dance-y remix of a pop song played over the speakers, and multicolor lights pulsed on the back wall. Ten minutes into the workout…

  • 0

Depression is an illness. Even though cancer is the reason I am on two antidepressants and an anti-anxiety medication, you don’t have to have cancer to have depression.

  • 0

I showed up at St. John’s oncology department two Mondays ago ready to burst into tears. I was there for what might have been my third-to-last infusion of Herceptin.

  • 0

“Tamoxifen increases the chance of cancer of the uterus in some women taking it. Tamoxifen may cause blockages to form in a vein, lung or brain. It also causes liver cancer in rats.” This is from MayoClinic.org.

  • 0

I wanted to announce it to the 11 other customers at Pearl Street Bagels last Thursday. Posting it on Facebook crossed my mind, too. After a couple of minutes of consideration, though, I decided both of those would be a case of TMI — too much information. So instead I’m announcing it in a ne…

  • 0

Was it ironic? Annoying? Funny in a morbid way? Embarrassing? Humiliating? Degrading? My first time through Breast Cancer Awareness Month (October, in case you’ve been living in another universe since it was founded in 1985) as someone with breast cancer was all of these.

  • 1

Six days after returning to the mainland from a week on Kauai my skin is sun kissed. I have memories and photos of a scenic helicopter ride, hiking the Na’Pali Coast, kayaking the Na’Pali Coast and reading a book by the infinity pool at our hotel, which had pathways lit by tiki torches at ni…

  • 0

Last Wednesday in St. John’s Medical Center’s oncology department, while getting an infusion of Herceptin — an antibody used to treat HER2+ breast cancer that I will get every three weeks until Jan. 16 — I asked when my period might come back. I haven’t had it since starting chemo.

  • 0

My last round of chemo May 1 ended with me crying. It wasn’t the full-out sobbing-morphing-into-hyperventilating I still sometimes succumb to in the shower, hiking on Crystal Butte, organizing my closet or binge watching some trashy TV show. But as I walked out of St. John’s Medical Center’s…

  • 1

When I went to Madrid for a long weekend as my treat for surviving round 4 of chemo, I wore a face mask on all three flights. On each plane I immediately whipped out disinfectant wipes and scrubbed every little bit of my small space. I felt conspicuous, but when you’ve got no immune system, …

  • 0

“You’re kind of pale. Maybe even yellow,” said my friend Kelly after we had survived last Wednesday’s thunder snow-and-rain storm and made it back to the bottom of Snow King Mountain. We were safely at the bottom, but I had barely made it.

  • 0

“Nausea, vomiting, bloating, horrible, explosive gas at really inappropriate times, constipation alternating with diarrhea, fatigue, exhaustion and a general sense of malaise and not feeling well.”

  • 0

I’ve never wanted a merely normal life. Now, though, with two of six rounds of chemotherapy down, if my body feels moderately normal for a few minutes a day it’s cause for celebration.

  • 1

In the last year St. John Medical Center’s Oncology Department had about 2,600 patient visits, said nurse and director Dondi Weeks. An average month has oncology helping about 216 patients. About 60 percent of visits are by cancer patients. The other 40 percent of patients are there to recei…