In 1900, Albert and Ellen Mangum homesteaded near what’s now Teton Village. Both are interred there, with two of their children, among the condos. The story below is told in Ellen’s words, which she dictated to a granddaughter in the 1950s.

“In 1909, we succeeded in getting the contract to carry the mail from Teton to Wilson twice a week. We carried mail for 10 years. The check for that covered the expenses in getting started on the farm. I drove the route during the summer while my husband ran the farm. We had many experiences during those years which were outstanding. One especially stands out in my memory.

“On a wintery mail day, my husband was sick, so I had Bill Scott go to the Teton office, get the mail and bring it to our place so I could take it on to Wilson. I started out, but it was storming hard, and I missed the road and wandered off through the willows and brush on the school section. The team floundered around in the deep snow until the mare gave out. I unhitched Duke and broke a trail for the mare, then I would go back and hitch Duke back onto the sleigh and go as far as the trail was broken, then the mare would lay down. I worked that way for a long time. It was snowing hard and I couldn’t see in any direction.

“Finally, it cleared a little and the sun came out. I climbed on Duke and rode until I could see a little house on the Everett place. Then I knew where I was. The road went past that house, and I wasn’t far from that road and soon had the team back onto it. I drove to Mr. Spalding’s home and asked if I could borrow a horse to take the mail on to Wilson. He had me go into the house and warm up while he put my team in the barn and hitched his team onto my sleigh. He had me hang my coat and overshoes by his stove to dry and gave me a large bowl of stewed duck and dumplings. It tasted so good. I was so hungry and cold. He gave me a warm overcoat and dry overshoes and I took the mail on into town. It was dark when I got back to his place. He changed teams again while I got my own coat and overshoes. The team followed the road alright until we got out of the willows, and then I saw lights. My husband and the neighbors were out looking for me. It was 11 p.m. when I finally reached home.”

People share pet peeves

Karen Stewart: When someone tries to park a large vehicle into a parking place on the opposite side of the street. Even worse is when someone tries to parallel park on Broadway and can’t quite do it.

Joyce May: People who leave their shopping carts in the middle of the parking lot without returning them to their proper place.

Bill May: When truth in advertising is lacking.

Courtney Lucas: Any speck of water on my windshield bothers me. My mom hates that, too. Runs in the family.

Earl Lutz: My mother-in-law and other Teton County residents had to move to another county or state to get care after Legacy Lodge closed.

Elizabeth Kingwill: My pet peeve is mask-related. Quite a few shoppers were drinking and eating at Albertsons and had pulled their masks down. They were wandering around the aisles and forgot to pull their masks back up.

Tim Mayo: Where have the smiles gone? For most of my 50-plus years in this blessed valley, eye contact and smiles and/or grins were the norm. Now it seems like we have become a population of heads down, eye avoidance and blank or less-then-friendly facial expressions. What happened?

Jessica Sell Chambers: I dislike selfish people that disregard the health and safety of our community.

Wildlife photo winners

This year, 674 photographers submitted 3,373 entries to the Wyoming Wildlife photo contest. Several winners were from Teton County. All winning photos can be seen in the February issue of Wyoming Wildlife.

In the wildlife category, Adria T. Stines, Peter Mangolds and Savannah Rose Burgess received honorable mentions.

Carl Oksanen won two honorable mentions in the scenic category.

In the recreation category, third place went to David Bowers. Honorable mentions went to Peter Mangolds and Della Frederickson.

Good news, bad news

Way back in 1971, Gene Ferrin, Wes Nethercott and Tim Johnson saw it was going to be a good powder day at Grand Targhee. The boys decided to skip school and go skiing. It turned out to be Targhee’s grand opening celebration. At the ticket gate they put their names into a bucket for a chance to win a free season pass. Good news: Gene won the pass. Bad news: He had to be part of the ribbon-cutting ceremony to officially open the area with Wyoming Gov. Clifford Hansen and Idaho Gov. Cecil Andrus in attendance. Channel 3-KID covered the event — and he ended up in detention because he’d called in sick.

Connie Owen would love to hear your stories. Call or email her at 734-9512 or

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please note: Online comments may also run in our print publications.
Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Please turn off your CAPS LOCK.
No personal attacks. Discuss issues & opinions rather than denigrating someone with an opposing view.
No political attacks. Refrain from using negative slang when identifying political parties.
Be truthful. Don’t knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be proactive. Use the “Report” link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with us. We’d love to hear eyewitness accounts or history behind an article.
Use your real name: Anonymous commenting is not allowed.
The News&Guide welcomes comments from our paid subscribers. Tell us what you think. Thanks for engaging in the conversation!

Thank you for reading!

Please log in, or sign up for a new account and purchase a subscription to read or post comments.