A July 28 fire that damaged the historic Brooks Lake Lodge started because an ember escaped the fireplace, state fire investigator Eric Siwik determined.
The ember ignited roofing and insulation material, leading to the blaze that damaged the ceiling and roof of the 98-year-old Togwotee Pass lodge's "tea room" and dining room.
Siwik said he pinned down the roof as the area of origin of the fire as he surveyed the damage and interviewed witnesses.
"As we continued on with the investigation, we ruled out causes associated with electrical failures and things of that nature, and came to the conclusion of the fireplace," Siwik said.
Siwik reminded residents to have fireplaces inspected and cleaned on a regular basis.
The causes of two other fires in the Jackson Hole area — at downtown Jackson's Cafe Genevieve on July 2 and at the White Pine Ski Resort lodge on July 12 — are still under investigation by the State Fire Marshal's office, Siwik said.
The investigation of the fire at Cafe Genevieve required sending kitchen rags to a lab for testing. Investigators say there's no connection between the three July fires.