Karns Meadow gas leak

Jackson Hole Fire/EMS personnel in HazMat gear respond to a gas leak Tuesday in Karns Meadow.

Crews responded to a gas leak at the Karns Meadow well house Tuesday, dealing with the hazard in two hours.

No evacuations were required. Jackson Hole Fire/EMS, the Region 8 Regional Emergency Response Team and town of Jackson Public Works Department staff responded, some in hazmat suits.

“Two compressed cylinders of chlorine gas were turned off and gas levels were monitored to ensure the leak had been terminated,” a press release said.

Fire Marshal Kathy Clay called it a “very high-risk incident” due to the danger posed by chlorine gas.

John Ryan, town of Jackson water utility manager, said a malfunctioning valve between two cylinders broke and leaked less than a pound of chlorine.

The broken valve was “very unusual,” Ryan said. It’s back in service now.

Contact Allie Gross at 732-7063 or county@jhnewsandguide.com.

Allie Gross covers Teton County government. Originally from the Chicago area, she joined the News&Guide in 2017 after studying politics and Spanish at Vanderbilt University in Nashville.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please note: Online comments may also run in our print publications.
Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Please turn off your CAPS LOCK.
No personal attacks. Discuss issues & opinions rather than denigrating someone with an opposing view.
No political attacks. Refrain from using negative slang when identifying political parties.
Be truthful. Don’t knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be proactive. Use the “Report” link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with us. We’d love to hear eyewitness accounts or history behind an article.
Use your real name: Anonymous commenting is not allowed.