The Rusty Parrot Lodge has been condemned following a Monday night fire. Firefighters officially confirmed the cause Wednesday afternoon.
Fabric from a protective covering got too close to an outdoor fire ring and ignited. The flames then spread to a nearby cushioned couch, Jackson Hole Fire/EMS Fire Marshal Kathy Clay said.
“There was fresh varnish and it’s pretty volatile stuff,” Clay said Tuesday. “It certainly contributed to the fire behavior.”
There were two fireplaces on the deck, and they were both shut off and covered around 10:45 p.m., Clay said.
Firefighters were called to the hotel at 11:30 p.m. on Monday and used at least 500,000 gallons of water to fight the blaze all night Monday and into Tuesday morning.
The building was inspected Tuesday and listed as condemned because of “significant structural loss of integrity.”
“We are all saddened by the loss of this iconic structure,” Fire Chief Brady Hansen said in a press release sent by Teton County on Wednesday afternoon.
The fire is a good reminder to be careful when placing combustibles near heat sources, Clay said.
“Introducing fire onto a deck creates a wonderful ambiance,” she said. “But it also increases risk.”
The Rusty Parrot Lodge was started by Heidi and Brandon Harrison’s father, Ron, who opened its doors in 1990.
Read a full report in Wednesday’s Jackson Hole News&Guide.
— Mike Koshmrl contributed to this report.